Sunday, August 28, 2011

Disaster Preparedness

I finally made it it to Virginia and DC! My first week here has been memorable, to say the least. There was the earthquake on Tuesday, the hurricane on Saturday and a new job to top it all off. I couldn't have been less prepared for all of this.

In fact, this past week had me so nervous that I was sure I was having a panic-induced seizure instead of feeling an earthquake. But my boss came running out of her office and told me to "get out!" I watched as the whole hospital evacuated. Kids in wheelchairs and doctors who were scrubbed in to start surgeries all came filing out. It was pretty surreal.

The hurricane was a great excuse to sleep all day and be lazy this Saturday. I needed lots of it since I'm not used to waking up at 5:30am. Ugh.

My head is spinning from all of my new responsibilities. I also haven't figured out the whole bus-metro commute business here either. There are 8 different ways to get anywhere you want to go here so I've taken a different route to work every day. Most of the time, it's an hour and a half, but sometimes it's two hours. It will much easier once Shane and I move into our apartment which is closer. Right now I'm staying with Erin and Toby, who have done so much for Shane and I to make this move easier on us; thank you!!

 This is  the main campus of the hospital.
 Dr. Bear is a big thing there for the kids. He walks around sometimes. 

 As soon as you walk in, you see these balloons.

No comments:

Post a Comment